Sunday, October 21, 2012

Poison Ivy time

Its that magical time of year again when all good children rack their brains for what they are going to be for Halloween. My daughter is the same, and this year decided she wanted to create her own costume (with a little help from mom, of course). Since she is a big Batman fan, she chose the character Poison Ivy.  A lot of interesting make-up will be involved. Leaves will be everywhere!



My job is to help make the skirt happen. After several discussions and a couple of trips to Michael's, we  got down to constructing the leaf skirt.






We began with a stretchy tube skirt that still fit but is never worn anymore. She cut off the leaves from some bushy bunches and I started to pin them down in straight rows starting from the bottom, sewing them down with a zig zag stitch to allow for expansion. I then overlapped rows upwards trying to randomize the dark and light green leaves as well as the occasional leaf with red veins.

The sewing looks a little messy, but each successive row covers up the previous row.

The last row will be hand tacked down. Just a couple of tacks per leaf should do it.


I'll post the finished skirt soon. Hopefully I'll be able to get a picture of my daughter in the full get-up as well.

Stay tuned!

No comments: